In 1880, Frederick & Florence Gotthold purchased 55 acres and called it “Wild Acres."
In 1922, Colonel Robert Montgomery and his wife Nell purchased Wild Acres and soon bought an adjacent 70 acres for a total of 125 acres and began to add buildings and gardens, collecting 850 species of evergreens and other plants, established the Pinetum.
In 1945, Colonel Montgomery gave the New York Botanical Garden 200 of his specimens so they could establish their own conifer garden.
After Colonel Montgomery passed away in 1952, Nell approached the town about donating the park for recreational use and as a place to promote the appreciation of nature and art. After some persuasion, the Town agreed and began amending the property for public access and enjoyment.